William Hartung joins Scott to talk about the reasons for the war in Yemen and its effects in the region. As usual, little attention is being paid to America’s role in supporting Saudi Arabia in waging the war, and even less to the role of powerful lobbying from arms manufacturers, though efforts from some journalists and certain members of congress are looking to change that.
Discussed on the show:
- “Congress Can Help End The Suffering In Yemen” (Lobe Log)
- Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
- “State Department Team Led By Former Raytheon Lobbyist Pushed Mike Pompeo To Support Yemen War Because Of Arms Sales” (Intercept)
- Fear: Trump in the White House
- “Yemen’s Descent into Hell” (TomDispatch.com)
- “Saudi Arabia Bombs Fish Market & Hospital in Yemen” (Mint Press News)
- Win Without War
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
William Hartung is director of the Arms and Security Project at the Center for International Policy, and the author of Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex. Find him on Twitter @WilliamHartung.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Zen Cash; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and TheBumperSticker.com.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download