Editor-in-chief of the Palestine Chronicle Ramzy Baroud returns to the show to discuss his latest articles, “The Story Behind the Jerusalem Attack: How Trump and Netanyahu Pushed Palestinians into a Corner” and “Power to the People: Why Palestinian Victory in Jerusalem is a Pivotal Moment.” Scott and Baroud begin by discussing the history of the ’67 War, its basis in false propaganda, and how the deliberate plan put in place 50 year ago remains today. Baroud then explains the context of the clash in east Jerusalem, where Israel has used the al-Aqsa clash with Palestinians as an opportunity to permanently control Haram Sharif. According to Baroud if Israel fully controls Haram Sharif then there’s nothing left to fight for in Jerusalem for the Palestinians. Baroud details how this is just the latest act of aggression in Israel’s steady creep into east Jerusalem and how, through continual pressure and coercion, Arabs have now become a minority in east Jerusalem. Finally, Baroud explains why a two-state solution would be an impossible endeavor and how effectively the Israelis have manipulated the language of the occupation to flip the victim narrative on its head.
Ramzy Baroud is a US-Arab journalist and is the editor-in-chief of the Palestine Chronicle. He is the author of“My Father Was A Freedom Fighter: The Untold Story of Gaza.” His latest digital project is “Palestine in Motion,” intended to give a holistic understanding of the lives of Palestinians as told in their own words. Follow Ramzy on Twitter @RamzyBaroud and read his work at RamzBaroud.net.
Discussed on the show:
- “Israel provoked the Six-Day War in 1967, and it was not fighting for survival” (Mondoweiss.com)
- Al-Aqsa Mosque
- Dome on the Rock
- The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977, by Gershom Gorenberg
- The Allon Plan
- “Netanyahu says Jerusalem ‘always Israel’s capital'” (Al Monitor)
- Haram Sharif (Temple Mount)
- Jerusalem Islamic Waqf
- “No Israeli damage to al-Aqsa manuscripts following unrest, says Jerusalem Islamic Endowment” (Al Aaraby)
- Israel Defense Forces (IDF)
- “Death Toll in Gaza Climbs, Israel Calls up More Troops” (The Atlantic)
- Murabitin (Those who are steadfast)
- “The Golan Heights Annexed by Israel in an Abrupt Move” (New York Times)
- “Why Jerusalem Isn’t Recognized as Israel’s Capital” (Time)
- Beitar Illit
- Qalandiya Checkpoint
- “Netanyahu Unaware of the Camera ‘America can easily be moved'” (YouTube)
- “American and Israeli Jews: Twin Portraits From Pew Research Center Surveys” (Pew Research)
- “The Israel Project’s 2009 Global Language Dictionary,” by Frank Luntz (The Israel Project)
- Edward Bernays
- “U.S. Lawmakers Seek to Criminally Outlaw Support for Boycott Campaign Against Israel,” by Glenn Greenwald and Ryan Grim (The Intercept)
- “Fight the Boycott of Israel” (AIPAC.org)
- “Israeli minister says Palestinians are bringing a ‘third Nakba’ upon themselves” (Mondoweiss.com)
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.
Subscribe for the Latest Episodes
Join our mailing list to be notified of the latest episode, news and upcoming events.