James Carden joins the show to talk about his latest article, “A Fateful Encounter: On Today’s Meeting Between Presidents Trump and Putin,” on Donald Trump’s meeting with Vladimir Putin at the G20 Summit. Carden also discusses how Liberal Twitter is off its hinge, how the U.S. is the worst of all foreign election meddlers, why tensions with Iran make it impossible for a lasting agreement between Russia and the United States, why no one understands what’s happening in the Ukraine and the United States’ role in the mess, how all of the pundits screeching about Trump’s connections to Russia were the same pundits who supported the case for WMDs in Iraq, and that regime change in Russia is the ultimate goal for many in Washington.
Carden is a contributing writer at The Nation. He is executive editor for the American Committee for East-West Accord and former adviser on Russia policy at the US State Department.
Discussed on the show:
- “For Russia, Trump-Putin Meeting Is a Sure Winner,” New York Times
- “The U.S. is no stranger to interfering in the elections of other countries,” Los Angeles Times
- “Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin,” by Timothy Snyder
- “Did Endless War Cost Hillary Clinton the Presidency? A new academic paper says yes.” Reason.com
- CNN/ORC poll (March, 2017)
- Kurt Volker
- “John McCain and Paul Ryan Hold ‘Good Meeting’ With Veteran Ukrainian Nazi Demagogue Andriy Parubiy,” by Ben Norton and Max Blumenthal
- Minsk Agreement
- “Former Soviet states stand up to Russia. Will the U.S.?,” by Carl Gershman
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.
Scott Horton has done over 5,400 interviews with military leaders, whistleblowers, and investigative journalists. Avoid being part of the mob that calls for innocent blood by learning from foreign-policy experts, and spread the message of peace to others.