Stu Smallwood comes back on the show to talk about President Trump’s negotiations with North Korea and what the media is saying about them. One thing that’s frequently omitted is President Moon’s leading role in the talks, which Smallwood sees as fulfillment of Moon’s years-long promise to seek peace on the peninsula. Smallwood is skeptical that we’ll see total denuclearization, given that North Korea seems to see their nuclear weapons as one of the only deterrents against military action by the U.S. and its allies, but seeking peace is certainly better than the “Washington consensus” of sanctions and animosity.
Discussed on the show:
- “US Maximalist Stance on Denuclearization Holds Korean Peace Process Hostage” (Antiwar.com)
- “North Korea Criticizes ‘Gangster-Like’ U.S. Attitude After Talks With Mike Pompeo” (New York Times)
- “Did John Bolton Leak Intelligence to Sabotage a Trump-Kim Deal?” (Truthdig)
- “North Korea: US blocks sanctions exemption for sports equipment” (The Guardian)
- “North Korea Hands Over Possible Remains Of U.S. Servicemen Killed In Korean War” (NPR)
- “North Korea Starts Dismantling Key Missile Facilities, Report Says” (New York Times)
- Korean Armistice Agreement
- No Gun Ri massacre
- Non-Proliferation Treaty
- Agreed Framework
- Sunshine Policy
Stu Smallwood lived in Korea for eight years and now writes about the US empire in Korea for Antiwar.com and Global Research. Follow him on Twitter @stu_smallwood.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Zen Cash; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; LibertyStickers.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.
Scott Horton has done over 5,400 interviews with military leaders, whistleblowers, and investigative journalists. Avoid being part of the mob that calls for innocent blood by learning from foreign-policy experts, and spread the message of peace to others.