Aniqa Raihan joins Scott to discuss her article for Foreign Policy in Focus, “A Beginner’s Guide to the Unrecognized Villages of Israel.” Raihan explains how the bedouins of Israel—who are citizens—have been continually deprived of their homes, land, and other vital resources. The Bedouin people are regularly forced from their homes and villages, many of which are unrecognized by the state of Israel and reappropriated for other purposes. Scott then asks about the BDS movement; Raihan explains the goals and origins of the movement and how it’s scaring the Israeli establishment.
Aniqa Raihan is a former Next Leader at the Institute for Policy Studies and a past member of Students for Justice in Palestine at George Washington University. Follow her on Twitter @niqray.
Discussed on the show:
- Unrecognized Bedouin villages in Israel
- Negev Desert
- “Israeli Supreme Court allows state to replace Bedouin village with Jewish one” (Palestine Monitor)
- “The Cases of the Villages Atir and Umm al-Hiran” (Amnesty International)
- Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS)
- “Reagan Outlines His Stand on Jewish Settlements” (New York Times)
- “U.S. Finalizes Deal to Give Israel $38 Billion in Military Aid” (New York Times)
Today’s show is sponsored by: NoDev, NoOps, NotIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; 3tediting.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and Darrin’s Coffee.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.