Investigative journalist Gareth Porter returns to the show to discuss his article for The American Conservative, “Translated Doc Debunks Narrative of Al Qaeda-Iran ‘Alliance’.” Porter explains how Americans are manufacturing a nonexistent relationship between Iran and Al Qaeda in much the same way they did with Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein in the lead up to the Iraq war. Porter then details the specifics of the document and the context in which it was written. Scott and Porter discuss at length how Iran and Al Qaeda have been conflated previously, diverting attention away from Al Qaeda in the lead up to 9/11. Lastly the two turn to Porter’s second article, “Israel’s Ploy Selling a Syrian Nuke Strike,” which unearths the lies underlying Israel’s 2007 bombing of Syria.
Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist on the national security state and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare. Follow him on Twitter @GarethPorter and listen to Gareth’s previous appearances on the Scott Horton Show.
Discussed on the show:
- Long War Journal
- “Burnt Offering,” by Gareth Porter (The American Prospect)
- “Iran Proposal to U.S. Offered Peace with Israel,” by Gareth Porter (IPS News Agency)
- People’s Mujahedin of Iran (MEK)
- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi
- “Questions Mount Over Failure to Hit Zarqawi’s Camp” (Wall Street Journal)
- “Avoiding Attacking Suspected Terrorist Mastermind” (NBC News)
- 1998 killing of Iranian diplomats in Afghanistan
- “Khobar Towers Investigated: How a Saudi Deception Protected Osama bin Laden” (Part 1), by Gareth Porter (IPS News Agency)
- Saif al-Adel
- “US intelligence does not show Syrian nuclear weapons program, officials say,” by Larisa Alexandrovna (Raw Story)
- “US, Israel refuse to cooperate with inquest into Syria strike,” by Larisa Alexandrovna (Raw Story)
- Olli Heinonen
- Mohamed ElBaradei
- “How Syrian Nuke Evidence was Faked,” by Gareth Porter (Consortium News)
Today’s show is sponsored by: NoDev, NoOps, NotIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; 3tediting.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and Darrin’s Coffee.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.