World affairs editor for the Guardian Julian Borger returns to the show to discuss his latest article “White House ‘pressuring’ intelligence officials to find Iran in violation of nuclear deal.” Borger details the pressure CIA officials are facing from the White House to find or procure evidence of Iran being in noncompliance with the nuclear deal. But while Borger believes there’s hope that the CIA isn’t willing to play ball, he details how the Trump administration is finding other creative ways to void the deal. Scott turns back the clock and wonders whether Obama could have solidified long term peace with Iran by visiting Tehran; Borger isn’t so sure. They try to understand just why Trump is against the Iran Deal, the attempt to torpedo which is beginning to look a lot like the push to war in Iraq. Finally, Borger explains just how effective the Iran Deal has been for nonproliferation.
Discussed on the show:
- “U.S. Military Chief Warns Against Pulling Out Of Iran Nuclear Deal” (RFERL.org)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Going to Tehran: Why America Must Accept the Islamic Republic of Iran, by Flynt and Hillary Leverett
- Hassan Rouhani
- Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)
- UN Security Council resolution
- U.S. Government Assessment of the Syrian Government’s Use of Chemical Weapons on August 21, 2013
- Mike Pompeo
- James Mattis
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.
Scott Horton has done over 5,400 interviews with military leaders, whistleblowers, and investigative journalists. Avoid being part of the mob that calls for innocent blood by learning from foreign-policy experts, and spread the message of peace to others.