Kevin Gosztola is back for another update on Julian Assange’s extradition hearing. A major focus of the last few days, he says, has been Assange’s mental health, including a brand new diagnosis of Asperger syndrome. The defense has argued that this, combined with serious depression, would make him unfit for high-security imprisonment and for certain kinds of questioning that he would likely have to undergo in the U.S. The defense has also continued to emphasize the insidious and illegal tactics employed by the U.S. government and its allies during Assange’s confinement in the Ecuadorean embassy, demonstrating that all along this has been about the deliberate targeting of a political enemy, not some disinterested quest for justice.
Discussed on the show:
- “Julian Assange Diagnosed With Asperger’s While in Prison” (Shadowproof)
- “US Prosecution Accuses Assange Of Exaggerating His Depression” (Shadoproof)
- “9/18/20 Joe Lauria: Day Nine of the Assange Extradition Hearing” (The Libertarian Institute)
- WikiLeaks World Tomorrow
- Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier
- “Underground: The Julian Assange Story (2012)” (IMDb)
- “Vault7” (WikiLeaks)
- “State Department Cables” (WikiLeaks)
- “JOHN KIRIAKOU: As Assange Faces Extradition, the State of US Prisons Grows Worse” (Consortium News)
- “Kabul War Diary” (WikiLeaks)
- “Baghdad War Diary” (WikiLeaks)
- “Collateral Murder” (WikiLeaks)
- “Exclusive images from inside British court expose Assange’s un-democratic treatment, physical deterioration” (The Grayzone)
Kevin Gosztola is managing editor of Shadowproof. He also produces and co-hosts the weekly podcast, “Unauthorized Disclosure.” Follow him on Twitter @kgosztola.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; Listen and Think Audio; TheBumperSticker.com; and LibertyStickers.com.
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.