Scott interviews Ray McGovern about his decades as a CIA analyst, with a particular focus on U.S.–Russia policy from Kennedy to George H. W. Bush. They also discuss America’s growing antagonism toward Russia and China in recent years, and the attempt to expand NATO eastward. McGovern describes not only the many follies of incompetent and hubristic government officials, but also the ways that special interests—like those of the military-industrial complex—are often deliberately advanced at the expense of the well-being of American citizens.
Discussed on the show:
- Mary’s Mosaic: The CIA Conspiracy to Murder John F. Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and Their Vision for World Peace: Third Edition
- The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner
- JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters
- JFK: The Smoking Gun
- “JFK (1991)” (IMDb)
- The Yankee and Cowboy War
- “Opinion | Chicken Kiev, the Sequel” (The New York Times)
- “The Putin Interviews” (SHOWTIME)
- “The Rape of Russia, Testimony of Anne Williamson Before the House Banking Committee” (Softpanorama)
- “TIME Magazine Cover: Boris Yeltsin – July 15, 1996 – Boris Yeltsin” (TIME)
- “Ideologies behind the Soviet Power” (Foreign Affairs)
- “Opinion | Foreign Affairs; Now a Word From X” (The New York Times)
- Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
- “The Real Reason to Intervene in Syria” (Foreign Policy)
- “NYET means NYET” (WikiLeaks)
- “Opinion | What Putin Has to Say to Americans About Syria” (The New York Times)
- “Ukraine crisis: Transcript of leaked Nuland-Pyatt call” (BBC News)
- “The Afghanistan Papers” (Washington Post)
Ray McGovern is the co-creator of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity and the former chief of the CIA’s Soviet analysts division. Read all of his work at his website: raymcgovern.com.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: The War State and Why The Vietnam War?, by Mike Swanson; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; EasyShip; Thc Hemp Spot; Green Mill Supercritical; Bug-A-Salt; Lorenzotti Coffee and Listen and Think Audio.