Kate Gould joins Scott to discuss the surprise development in the House, which voted to defund U.S. military support for its Saudi-partnered war in Yemen. Members of congress on both sides brought forward the legislation to cut off the US-Saudi war in Yemen, but there is a long political process remaining. Gould outlines the two different wars taking place in Yemen—one in which the U.S. is fighting against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which is authorized by the AUMF; and the second war that the U.S. is fighting on the side of Saudi Arabia and al-Qaeda against the Yemeni Houthis, which is at stake with this vote—and for good reason: Saudi Arabia bombed four hospitals run by Doctors Without Borders in one year, using American weapons. This is part of a larger effort to target Yemeni infrastructure, including the country’s ports which it relied on for the importation of food. Nonetheless the vote in the House is a sign that there’s real scrutiny being placed on the U.S. support for the war in Yemen.
Gould serves as the Legislative Representative for Middle East Policy at the Friends Committee on National Legislation where she directs FCNL’s lobbying on Middle East policy. Follow Kate on Twitter @K8Gould.
Discussed on the show:
- National Defense Authorization Act
- House Committee on Rules
- Warren Davidson (R-OH)
- “US House Votes to Block US Participation in Saudi War in Yemen,” by Robert Naiman (Truth-out.org)
- “‘Atrocious attack’: U.S.-backed Saudi coalition bombs 4th MSF hospital in Yemen, killing 11 people,” by Ben Norton (Salon.com)
- Nearly half a million children in Yemen risk starvation, according to UNICEF report” (Vice News)
- Freedom Caucus
- Conference Committee
- “Senate Votes with Record Opposition to Saudi Arms Sale—But Not Enough to Put On Brakes” (The Intercept)
- Warren Davidson
- “US generals: Saudi intervention in Yemen ‘a bad idea’,” by Mark Perry
- “Indiana Senator pushes U.S. to pressure Saudis on Yemen aid” (USA Today)
- Lindsey Graham: “Stand with Saudi Arabia“
- Walter Jones (R-NC)
The Lies that Started 11 Wars
Don't let them lie you into war again. Inoculate yourself against war propaganda. Signup and receive our free ebook All the War Lies.