Giorgio Cafiero of Gulf State Analytics discusses the mess that U.S. foreign policy has made of the Middle East in light of the news that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is in fact alive after many claims and rumors to the contrary. President Trump, Scott and Cafiero agree, has made a few good moves against America’s recent foreign policy trend, but for the most part has adhered exactly to the precedents of Obama, both Bushes, and Clinton.
Discussed on the show:
- “Baghdadi’s Alive, and So Is Islamic State’s Narrative” (LobeLog)
- “ISIL chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi appears in propaganda video” (Al Jazeera)
- “Undefeated, ISIS Is Back in Iraq” (New York Review of Books)
- “Audio Evidence: John Kerry confirms arming Daesh” (YouTube)
- “The Redirection” (The New Yorker)
- “Preparing the Battlefield” (The New Yorker)
- Devil’s Game
- Asad: The Struggle for the Middle East by Seale
Giorgio Cafiero is the CEO and founder of Gulf State Analytics, a geopolitical risk consultancy based in Washington, DC. He writes regularly for the Middle East Institute, The National Interest, and LobeLog. Find him on Twitter @GiorgioCafiero.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.