Sheldon Richman comes on the show for part two of his series on the FDA’s recent moves to control tobacco products even more tightly. Not only is the agency allowed to regulate all products containing tobacco, they can now determine what constitutes a “tobacco product,” extending the definition to include things like pipes and non-tobacco nicotine replacements. Clearly, says Richman, this isn’t actually about getting people to stop smoking, because if they wanted that, they would embrace safer products like e-cigarettes instead of trying to ban them.
Discussed on the show:
- “TGIF: The FDA’s Assault on Tobacco Consumers, Part 2” (The Libertarian Institute)
- A Hobby, Not A Habit – Meditations on Pipe Smoking
- The Strange Career of Marihuana: Politics and Ideology of Drug Control in America
- Ceremonial Chemistry: The Ritual Persecution of Drugs, Addicts, and Pushers
- “Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act” (FDA)
- Death of Eric Garner
- “Vices Are Not Crimes: A Vindication Of Moral Liberty” (The Anarchist Library)
- Ruby Ridge
- Waco siege
Sheldon Richman is the executive editor of the Libertarian Institute and the author of America’s Counter-Revolution: The Constitution Revisited. Follow him on Twitter @SheldonRichman.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.
The Lies that Started 11 Wars
Don't let them lie you into war again. Inoculate yourself against war propaganda. Signup and receive our free ebook All the War Lies.