Sheldon Richman comes on the show for part two of his series on the FDA’s recent moves to control tobacco products even more tightly. Not only is the agency allowed to regulate all products containing tobacco, they can now determine what constitutes a “tobacco product,” extending the definition to include things like pipes and non-tobacco nicotine replacements. Clearly, says Richman, this isn’t actually about getting people to stop smoking, because if they wanted that, they would embrace safer products like e-cigarettes instead of trying to ban them.
Discussed on the show:
- “TGIF: The FDA’s Assault on Tobacco Consumers, Part 2” (The Libertarian Institute)
- A Hobby, Not A Habit – Meditations on Pipe Smoking
- The Strange Career of Marihuana: Politics and Ideology of Drug Control in America
- Ceremonial Chemistry: The Ritual Persecution of Drugs, Addicts, and Pushers
- “Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act” (FDA)
- Death of Eric Garner
- “Vices Are Not Crimes: A Vindication Of Moral Liberty” (The Anarchist Library)
- Ruby Ridge
- Waco siege
Sheldon Richman is the executive editor of the Libertarian Institute and the author of America’s Counter-Revolution: The Constitution Revisited. Follow him on Twitter @SheldonRichman.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.
Scott Horton has done over 5,400 interviews with military leaders, whistleblowers, and investigative journalists. Avoid being part of the mob that calls for innocent blood by learning from foreign-policy experts, and spread the message of peace to others.