Ted Snider details Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu’s intriguing and complex past helping to steal nuclear parts from America, for which he is now being investigated in Israel. Although most of the investigation and press coverage focuses on the associated corruption scandal and not the truly shady history, Snider believes Netanyahu could be in real political trouble. Even if he gets removed from office, neither Snider nor Scott thinks it likely that much will be made of Israel’s secret nuclear weapons program, because to do so would be to admit that the United States is giving aid to a country in violation of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. They also discuss the war in Yemen, where a common narrative is that America is only supporting Saudi Arabia in order to check the power of Iran, on whose behalf the Yemeni Houthis are supposedly fighting. Scott points out the irony of this position: by withdrawing U.S. support, the government would be granting the Iranians a rhetorical victory they actually have little or no part in, precisely the opposite of their supposed goal.
Discussed on the show:
- “Netanyahu’s latest corruption case could expose long hidden secrets about Israel’s nuclear weapons program” (Mondoweiss)
- Arnon Milchan
- Shimon Peres
- Stealing the Atom Bomb: How Denial and Deception Armed Israel
- Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
- “Groundbreaking poll: American support for one democratic state equal to support for two state solution” (Mondoweiss)
- “The Redirection” (The New Yorker)
- Iran hostage crisis
- “When All You’ve Got Is Bullying: A New Way of Dealing With America” (Antiwar.com)
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
Ted Snider has a graduate degree in philosophy and writes on analyzing patterns in U.S. foreign policy and history. He is a regular writer for Antiwar.com and ConsortiumNews.com.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Zen Cash; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download