Whistleblower Matthew Hoh returns to the show to discuss the Afghanistan War, what’s changed and what’s stayed the same. Hoh recalls how he challenged the U.S. war party by speaking out against the Afghan War during Obama’s surge, why Obama’s—and every other president’s—Afghan policy has failed, and how the failings were obvious from the outset. Hoh then touches on the reportedly expanded role of the CIA in tracking the Taliban and the United States’s disastrous partnership with the Afghan National Army.
Matthew Hoh is a senior fellow at the Center for International Policy and formerly worked for the U.S. State Department. Hoh received the Ridenhour Prize Recipient for Truth Telling in 2010. Hoh is a member of the Board of Directors for Council for a Livable World and is an Advisory Board Member for Expose Facts. He writes on issues of war, peace and post-traumatic stress disorder recovery at matthewhoh.com.
Discussed on the show:
- Karl Eikenberry
- “Obama Ignores Key Afghan Warning,” by Ray McGovern (Consortium News)
- “Triage: The Next 12 Months in Afghanistan and Pakistan” (Center for a New American Security)
- “Resignation Letter of Matthew Hoh” (Washington Post)
- “U.S. official resigns over Afghan war,” by Karen DeYoung (Washington Post)
- “Ambassador Eikenberry’s Cables on U.S. Strategy in Afghanistan” (New York Times)
- Afghan National Army
- Ahmad Shah Massoud
- Anand Gopal
- James Mattis
- “‘Ghost Soldiers’: Too Many U.S.-Trained Afghans Are Going AWOL” (ForeignPolicy.com)
- “Afghan Soldiers Went AWOL in America for Years,” by Kelley Beaucar Vlahos (The American Conservative)
- “A Newly Assertive C.I.A. Expands Its Taliban Hunt in Afghanistan” (New York Times)
- John Negroponte
Today’s show is sponsored by: NoDev, NoOps, NotIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; 3tediting.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.