Gareth Porter returns to the show to discuss his latest article for The American Conservative “Trump Trashes Iran Deal to Satisfy Netanyahu.” Porter discusses Trump’s goal to convince Congress to pass new sanctions against Iran and explains why, even if the United States breaks the deal, Iran may have incentives to remain in the deal. Porter and Scott then take a trip back down memory road to the outset of the Iraq War and the role Iran played in helping push the U.S. gears into war. The two then consider the likelihood that Trump could push the U.S. into war with Iran and why, thankfully, it appears unlikely.
Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist on the national security state and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare. Follow him on Twitter @GarethPorter and listen to Gareth’s previous appearances on the Scott Horton Show.
Discussed on the show:
- Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)
- “When the Ayatollah Said No to Nukes,” by Gareth Porter (ForeignPolicy.com)
- “10/26/17 Trita Parsi on the recently decertified Iran Deal” (The Scott Horton Show)
- David Stockman
- Sheldon Adelson
- Benjamin Netanyahu
- “How Ahmed Chalabi conned the neocons,” by John Dizard (Salon.com)
- “A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm“
- “Coping with Crumbling States: A Western and Israeli Balance of Power Strategy for the Levant by David Wurmser 1996” (The Scott Horton Show)
- “US intelligence fears Iran duped hawks into Iraq war” (The Guardian)
- “Israel’s Former Ambassador: Militant Shias Are More Dangerous Than Sunnis” (The Atlantic)
- People’s Mujahedin of Iran (MEK)
- Ehud Olmert
- “Episode 27: Scott Horton” (The Unregistered Podcast)
- William Fallon
- “Preparing the Battle Field,” by Seymour Hersh (The New Yorker)
- “John Kelly and the Language of the Military Coup,” by Masha Gessen (The New Yorker)
Today’s show is sponsored by: NoDev, NoOps, NotIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; 3tediting.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.