Research director of the National Iranian American Council Reza Marashi returns to the show to discuss Donald Trump’s likely decision to decertify the Iran Deal. Scott puts the question to Marashi: What’s so good about the Iran Deal? Marashi says it ensures that Iran can’t attempt to build a nuclear weapon without being caught, it helps avoid war between the United States and Iran by resolving one point of contention, and, at least until the Trump administration came to power, it created sustained dialogue between the United States and Iran on a number of different issues. Marashi then explains the context of the Trump administration’s decision on the Iran Nuclear Deal. Scott then details all of the lies that have been spread about Iran that have created the manufactured nuclear crisis. Lastly, Marashi explains how the U.S. threatened Iran with war as recently as February.
Marashi is formerly worked for the Office of Iranian Affairs at the U.S. Department of State. Follow him on Twitter @rezamarashi.
Discussed on the show:
- “GOP clashes over Iran deal makeover” (Politico)
- Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)
- “Trump decertifies Iran nuclear deal (full)” (CNN)
- Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare, by Gareth Porter
- People’s Mujahedin of Iran (MEK)
- Bagram Air Base
- “Obama to Iran and Israel: ‘As President of the United States, I Don’t Bluff’,” by Jeffrey Goldberg (The Atlantic)
- “Avoiding War With Iran,” New York Times Editorial Board (New York Times)
The Lies that Started 11 Wars
Don't let them lie you into war again. Inoculate yourself against war propaganda. Signup and receive our free ebook All the War Lies.