Reason Magazine’s Matt Welch follows up on Scott’s Jacob Sullum interview with his own case against Donald Trump. The clearest point to hit Trump on, says Welch, is probably his complete abandonment of curtailing government spending, as he has presided over the biggest budgets in American history. Welch also notes that despite Trump’s foreign policy rhetoric—which, he admits, has done a good job moving Republican voters toward the anti-war position—he has done fairly little to actually bring troops home and end America’s endless wars. Finally, Trump’s trade policies have accomplished little other than make goods more expensive for Americans and embolden protectionist policies in other parts of the world.
Discussed on the show:
- “The Case Against Trump: Donald Trump Is an Enemy of Freedom” (Reason)
- “The Case Against Biden: Joe Biden’s Politics of Panic” (Reason)
- “10/9/20 Jacob Sullum: The Case Against Joe Biden” (The Libertarian Institute)
- The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
- “10 foreign policy questions that should be asked at the presidential debate (but probably won’t)” (The Quincy Institute)
- Obama’s Wars
Matt Welch is editor at large at Reason Magazine. He is the author of The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What’s Wrong with America and McCain: The Myth of a Maverick. Follow him on Twitter @MattWelch.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; Listen and Think Audio; TheBumperSticker.com; and LibertyStickers.com.
The Lies that Started 11 Wars
Don't let them lie you into war again. Inoculate yourself against war propaganda. Signup and receive our free ebook All the War Lies.