Reese Erlich joins Scott to discuss the latest developments in Iraq and Eastern Syria. Erlich details the growing tension between Turkey, a NATO country, and the United States and the Kurds who are getting caught in between. Erlich and Scott discuss the recent history of U.S. interventionism in Syria, how the Trump policy divulges from Obama’s, and the current status of the Islamic State.
Reese Erlich is a nationally syndicated columnist and the author of Inside Syria: The Backstory of Their Civil War and What the World Can Expect. Erlich’s revised edition of his book ”The Iran Agenda” will be published in 2018. In the meantime read his work at his website and follow him on Twitter.
Discussed on the show:
- Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK)
- “Trump to Arm Syrian Kurds, Even as Turkey Strongly Objects” (New York Times)
- “Remarks on the Way Forward for the United States Regarding Syria” (State Department)
- “Lebanese prime minister stays silent as Donald Trump mistakenly says he is fighting Hezbollah” (The Independent)
- Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare, by Gareth Porter
- Yitzhak Rabin
- Israel’s role in the Iran–Iraq war
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Zen Cash, The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; and ExpandDesigns.com/Scott.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.