Gareth Porter talks Trump, Syria, and America’s relationship with Israel. Porter says there are quite a few instances so far in Trump’s presidency where he’s made a public announcement about his plans, and then his aides work behind his back to thwart him. In many of those cases the aides are successful. Porter believes that in the case of withdrawal from Syria, however, Trump is serious about making this happen, and despite an initial delay he’s telling his generals to get it done in about six months. Getting out of Syria, explains Porter, is in the interest of the American people, Syrians, Russia, and Turkey. Even the Kurds will be able to make an alliance to preserve their safety. The only player that can’t stand U.S. withdrawal is Israel, basically because it would give Iran a symbolic victory, which they absolutely cannot tolerate.
Discussed on the show:
- “How Trump Thwarted Calculated Israeli Effort to Keep U.S. in Syria” (The American Conservative)
- “Mike Pompeo to Newsmax TV: US Troops ‘Are Coming Out’ of Syria” (Newsmax.com)
- The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Jewish Museum of Belgium shooting
- “Seymour M. Hersh · The Vice President’s Men · LRB 24 January 2019” (London Review of Books)
- Iran–Contra affair
- “Vice Squad” (The American Prospect)
Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist on the national security state, and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare. Follow him on Twitter @GarethPorter and listen to Gareth’s previous appearances on the Scott Horton Show.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.
More places to listen to The Scott Horton Show.