Executive director of the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity Daniel McAdams returns to the show to discuss his latest article, “House Passes New Russia Sanctions, Pumps Adrenaline into Cold War 2.0.” McAdams recaps the latest vote for sanctions against Russia, Iran and North Korea, which passed nearly unanimously, why the overwhelming support makes it unlikely Trump will veto the bill, and how sanctions on Russia will act as a form of protectionism for the U.S. energy industry with far reaching consequences for the European and U.S. economy. Dan and Scott then revisit the Bush years, and lament that it’s unlikely even Jeb Bush would have surrounded by as many neocons as Trump has. Finally, McAdams discusses how spending trillions of dollars a year on phantom threats around the world such as Iran and North Korea has done serious damage to the U.S. economy and the lives of ordinary people and why, if you’re really concerned about the Russians, the looming danger is the eventual collapse of the U.S. dollar.
Daniel McAdams is the executive director of the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity and the cohost of the Ron Paul Liberty Report. Follow Daniel on Twitter @DanielLMcAdams and read all of his work over at Antiwar.com.
Discussed on the show:
- Anthony Scaramucci
- David Petraeus
- “Trump Recertifies Iran Nuclear Deal, but Only Reluctantly” (New York Times)
- “Collateral Damage: U.S. Sanctions Aimed at Russia Strike Western European Allies,” by Diana Johnstone (Counterpunch)
- “Merkel, Obama reaffirm partnership, vow path of diplomacy in Ukraine” (Deutsche Welle)
- “Trump To Nominate Chief Diplomat For European-Eurasian Affairs” (RFRERL.org)
- Kurt Volker
- Rumsfeld: His Rise, Fall, and Catastrophic Legacy, by Andrew Cockburn
- “Iran-EU trade up 78% in 2016: Eurostat” (Tehran Times)
- “Nuclear weapons are a sin, says Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei” (The National)
- “South Korea’s New President, Moon Jae-in, Promises New Approach to North (New York Times)
- “Moon says sports can create peace, invites N. Korea to PyeongChang Olympics” (Korea Herald)
- Peace and Prosperity 2017 (Ron Paul conference in September in D.C.)