President of the Future of Freedom Foundation Jacob Hornberger returns to the show to discuss the welfare/warfare state and the harm it’s done to the country. Hornberger makes the case that today’s national security state is a post-World War II creation to fight the Soviet Unions and totalitarianism, and not inherent to what the United States has been. Hornberger and Scott then discuss the role of the UN in building the American empire, what libertarians need to do to convince the left and the right to care about state violence, and the tremendous opportunity cost of the money and brainpower spent on the military. Finally Hornberger discusses his article “What Good are Domestic Military Bases?”
Discussed on the show:
- “Do You Hate The State,” by Murray Rothbard (Mises Institute)
- “11/7/17 Congressman Walter Jones on his fight for H.Con.Res.81 and against the War Party” (Scott Horton Show)
- “Madeleine Albright: ‘The price is worth it'” (YouTube)
- “‘She Goes Not Abroad in Search of Monsters to Destroy’,” by John Quincy Adams (The American Conservative)
- “From North Korea, With Dread” (New York Times)
- “The Dangers of a Standing Army,” by Jacob Hornberger (FFF.org)
- “Video footage of migrants sold in apparent slave auction in Libya provokes outrage” (The Independent)
- “For U.S. foreign policy, it’s time to look again at the founding fathers’ ‘Great Rule’,” by Elizabeth Cobbs (LA Times)
- Laredo Air Force Base
Today’s show is sponsored by: NoDev, NoOps, NotIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; 3tediting.com; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and Darrin’s Coffee.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.